The National Service Scheme (NSS) is an Indian government- sponsored public service program conducted by the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. The scheme was launched in Gandhiji's Centenary year, 1969. Aimed at developing student's personality through community service, NSS is a voluntary association of young people working for a campus-community linkage.
Motto of National Service Scheme:
The Motto of NSS "Not Me, But You"
It reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for self-less service. NSS helps the students develop appreciation to other person's point of view and also show consideration to other living beings.
The main objectives of National Service Scheme (NSS) are:
1.to develop the personality of students through community service.
2. to inculcate social welfare in students, and to provide service to society without bias
3. To identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem solving process;
4. To develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility;
5. To utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems;
6. To develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities;
7. To Gain skills in mobilizing community participation;
8. To acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude;
9. To develop capacity to meet emergencies and national disasters;
10. To practice national integration and social harmony.
Dr. KK Suneesh
Regular activities includes