Ever since its inception in 2014, the Department of English has served as a hub for intellectual exploration and critical analysis of various aspects of English language and literature. Offering an Undergraduate Course (Model 1) to our students, we continue to explore various avenues in its field, including its history, grammar, and semantics as well as its rich literary tradition.
One of our primary goals is to develop students' language proficiency and communication skills. Through rigorous coursework, students are exposed to a wide range of literary works, both classic and contemporary, allowing them to explore different genres, styles, and themes. They are encouraged to engage in close reading, textual analysis and interpretation, fostering a deeper understanding and appreciation of literature. Assignments and other learning activities are set in line with this approach. Peer learning, remedial classes, mentoring, value education, participatory learning and proper grievance redressal ensure the overall development of students.
The faculty members within the Department of English are experts in their respective fields. They play a crucial role in guiding students' academic and intellectual growth, offering mentorship, conducting research, and publishing scholarly work.
The Department also promotes a vibrant academic community through various events, such as conferences, workshops, cultural fiestas, internships, invited lecture series, faculty exchange programmes, visits to libraries of national repute, and publication of manuscript magazines. The National and International events organized by the Department provide ample opportunities for student participation and presentations. Orientation programmes given to first-year undergraduate students provide them with different methodologies and approaches in English language and literature. These activities provide opportunities for students and faculty to engage in scholarly discussions, share their research findings, and connect with distinguished scholars and writers.
Furthermore, the Department often collaborates with other departments and interdisciplinary programmes to foster a holistic approach to the study of language and literature. In addition, extension activities such as palliative home care visits and the Miss-a-Meal programme are conducted to give students a chance to serve society, ensuring their commitment to the same.
The Department of English is a vibrant academic department that offers students the opportunity to explore the intricacies of English language, immerse themselves in literary works, and develop skills that are valuable in numerous professional arenas. It serves as a platform for intellectual growth, fostering a lifelong love for literature and language while preparing students for a range of career paths.
Area of Coverage:
This course provides an opportunity for learners to have a view of the wide horizons of the English Language and literature. We cover a diverse range of literary areas—the history of British, American, and World Literature. Students are given a proper introduction to a wide range of poetic forms, styles, and movements—from sonnets to epic poems, from Romantic poetry to modernist and contemporary verse. Plays and dramatic works, from ancient Greek tragedies to Elizabethan and Jacobean dramas, to modern and contemporary plays, are also focused upon. We also cover a rich array of fiction, ranging from classic novels to contemporary works.
Studying English Literature also involves the study of literary theory and criticism, examining various approaches and methodologies for analyzing and interpreting literary texts. This includes areas such as feminist theory, postcolonial theory, structuralism, post structuralism, and many more.
In addition to literature, the Department of English often offers courses in creative writing, rhetoric, composition, linguistics, and cultural studies. These courses provide students with opportunities to enhance their writing abilities, refine their critical thinking skills, and gain insights into the social, historical and cultural contexts that shape language and literature.
Graduates of the Department possess a broad set of skills that are highly valued in diverse professional fields. They develop strong communication skills, critical thinking abilities, and a deep understanding of human experiences and cultures through the study of language and literature.
English students have a vast range of job opportunities at their doorsteps as a result of the diverse abilities they develop during their course of study. Many English majors have an opportunity to pursue careers in fields such as publishing, journalism, teaching, editing, public relations, marketing, law, and creative writing. Here are a few employment options for English students:
- Writing and Editing: Students of English blessed with writing and editing skills are qualified for jobs such as those as writers, content creators, editors, and proof-readers. They can work as freelance writers, in publishing houses, newspapers, magazines, internet media, advertising agencies, or as journalists.
- Education: They can pursue a career as English language teachers. They may teach at the primary, secondary, and Higher secondary levels. They can also work as tutors, language instructors, or academic advisors.
- Publishing: They can work as editors, manuscript readers, or PR and marketing specialists at publishing houses. They may also pursue jobs in digital publishing.
- Journalism and Media: English majors who excel at writing, research, and communication can pursue professions in journalism, reporting, or broadcasting. They have an excellent opportunity to work with different media—newspapers, periodicals, online news publications, radio stations, or television networks.
- Public Relations and Marketing: Their ability to generate convincing messages, as well as their talent for effective communication, qualify them for jobs in public relations, advertising, and marketing. They can work as social media managers, in public relations businesses, marketing agencies, corporate communications departments, or as public relations officers.
- Copywriting and Technical Writing: English students with a flair for writing can explore careers in copywriting, where they create compelling and persuasive content for advertisements, websites, and marketing materials. They can also pursue technical writing roles, producing clear and concise documentation for technology, science, or other specialized fields.
- Freelancing and Entrepreneurship: English students can utilize their versatile skills to become freelance writers, editors, or consultants. They can establish their own businesses, offering writing and editing services, content creation, or language tutoring.
- Research and Academia: English students with a passion for scholarly pursuits can pursue advanced degrees and careers in research or academia. They can become researchers, professors, lecturers, or contribute to literary criticism and scholarly publications.
We have a student strength of 30 per batch.
Our Department provides an integrated training which equips learners to face challenges in life. It adopts plenty of innovative strategies such as peer teaching, seminar paper presentations, outreach & extension services, creative works such as short film making, debates, panel discussions, etc.
ASAP is our extension programme which is a platform for students to express themselves, communicate effectively, and enhance personality development.
We have an MOU with Samanvaya Charitable Society, Adimali which cater to the needs of students regarding psychosocial guidance. Joining hands with this NGO, we conduct surveys and awareness programmes in the tribal settlements.
Invited Lectures, Seminars, and Webinars
Conducting spoken English class, IELTS, ASAP trainings.
Visits to Snehabhavan, the asylum and extend support and concern.
Palliative Home Care.
Monthly Literary Quiz
Secured 5, 7, and 10 th positions in the MG university Examinations 2020.
International Virtual Literature Festival was conducted colorfully with more than 100 paper presentations.
Students secured grades in MG University Kalolsav.
Selgin V Joseph was Selected as the Best Cadet ( BC) and Best shooter of 33k from 33 k battalion.
The English department association provides opportunities for exhibiting the talents and skills of students like
Association inauguration by play back singer Gayathri Ashokan.
Students developed a YouTube channel *Thettali* a platform of web series.
Inter Departmental Competitions like Book Review, Debate, Poster Designing, Translation, Selfie , Poetry Writing, Photography were conducted.
Inter Collegiate Short Film Contest in association with World Environment Day 2021.